My Mom’s birthday was last week. Unfortunately, I couldn’t celebrate with her the night due to a minor food poisoning situation.
Fortunately, I felt much better the next day and made this quick and easy cake. The recipe is super simple and yields one moist, delicious cake. Perfect for my mom’s birthday!
Cake Instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKyikROdGk
Frosting Instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DhYslzA4pg
Adapted from Love & Lemons: https://www.loveandlemons.com/vegan-carrot-cake-macadamia-frosting/
*Makes 12 servings*
For the Cake:
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup melted vegan butter
- 2 cups grated carrots
For the Frosting:
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked overnight or for 1 hour in boiling water)
- ½ cup coconut cream (put a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge and then scoop the cream off the top)
- ¼ cup plain non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, softened
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together: applesauce, milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Add sugar and whisk.
- In small increments, mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the grated carrots until combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting
To make the Frosting:
- Add all ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth, for about 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed. You may add a little extra milk if necessary.
- Chill the frosting for 30+ minutes. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
- Add the frosting to the cake, leaving it in the baking pan for convenience. Top with nuts or blueberries if desired.
- Refrigerate the cake until it is ready to serve.