I have a secret for you. Listen close…
VEGAN LASAGNA IS GOOD!!!
Yep. I said it. This stuff is so good. Don’t worry that it’s missing animal products. You won’t miss them. This vegan lasagna is flavorful and packed with protein. And, unlike traditional lasagna, it won’t turn you into a sloth!
ALL HAIL VEGAN LASAGNA!
For the tofu ricotta:
- 1 block firm tofu (pressed to remove water)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 28 oz canned, crushed tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 package meat substitute (I used Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles)
- 2 tsp dried herbs
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 medium or large eggplant
- 1 package lasagna noodles (cook according to instructions on packaging)
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Slice a medium eggplant into circles, sprinkle some salt on top, and let the water drain out of it in a colander for about 20 minutes. Then, place the circles on an oiled baking sheet sprinkle a little oil on top, and bake them for about 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Blend tofu ricotta ingredients in a food processor or blender until they are well mixed and resemble ricotta cheese.
- Put a saucepan on medium heat and add some olive oil. Add diced onion and sauté for a few minutes. Add cremini mushrooms.Sauté and add a little more olive oil if you’d like. Add garlic, herbs, and seasoning. Sauté some more. Add tomatoes and allow the sauce to simmer for 2 minutes. Add spinach and cover sauce until spinach wilts. Add meat substitute. Stir that together and allow it to cook for a few more minutes. Just trust your gut on timing and pay attention to the sauce.
- Assemble the lasagna! In a 9×13 inch baking dish, layer:
- Start with some sauce
- Then add cooked lasagna noodles
- Vegan ricotta
- Cooked eggplant
- And some more sauce.
- Repeat until you reach the top of the dish. The top layer should be sauce
- Sprinkle vegan parmesan on top.
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Allow lasagna to cool slightly, slice, serve, and eat!